When you’re bored, it can be hard to know what to do with yourself. There are countless articles available online about to ‘improve yourself’ using online resources, but what about when you’re not in the mood for learning, and you just want some fun? Forget about ‘maximizing your productivity’ (urgh) or ‘streamlining your motivation’ (double-urgh), and start surfing the web as a distraction instead. Not every second of your day needs to be taken up with learning new skills and taking a break for some fun is great for your mental health too. If you’re looking for fun and frivolity online, then here are the six best ways to beat boredom online.
The Coolest Websites to Visit
No matter your interests, finding the right website has never been easier. Don’t resort to falling back onto Reddit when you could be visiting these awesome sites instead:
- WaitButWhy: A collection of fun, easy to read articles that cover everything from how to tip well to explain the Fermi paradox. Easy to read, and a great blend of humor and information, this is a rabbit hole you might never want to leave.
- Supercook: This one is a little bit productive, but it’s also very revealing. With Supercook, you tell the site what food you have in your cupboards and fridge, and it tells you every recipe that you can make with those ingredients. Great for dinner inspiration or just for clearing out some old cans you keep avoiding!
- Shark Tracking: This is a bizarrely entertaining way to kill a few hours online. The OCEARCH Shark Tracker lets you follow tagged sharks all around the world, and although it sounds a bit mad, the more you do it, the more fascinating it gets. All of the sharks have been named, so you can follow your favorites, and check out the crazy journeys they make.
Excitement and Fun Online
If the cool websites don’t appeal and you’re in the mood for a little excitement instead, then you’re still not going to run out of options. Have a look at these fantastic sites when you want to get your fun-levels up!
- Animal Planet: With kitten and puppy cams available 24/7, you can get your dose of the cutest animals in the world for however long you want, whenever you want. With multiple live streams available, this is one of the most fun ways to spend time online, although it can be very addictive!
- Casino Sites: If you’re in the mood to get your heart racing, then casino sites can be fantastic, and you might even make some cash too. Make sure to try this option out by using freeextrachips.com, who have compiled a list of casino sites that let you sign up and give you free chips without having to pay a deposit. It ranks them too, so you can pick and choose exactly where to play!
- Google Maps: It’s a bit weird that we don’t spend a lot of time talking about how amazing Google Maps and Street View is. You can check out and explore almost everywhere on earth, and it can be both fun and revealing. Great suggestions of places to visit include the Palace of Versailles, the Great Barrier reef (there are underwater cameras!), and the Swiss Alps.
It can be hard to drag yourself away from your social channels, but they can all get very boring very quickly. Don’t dismiss the rest of the internet just because you’ve fallen into the habit of opening Twitter or Facebook every time you pick up your phone or open a new tab on your laptop. Explore the rest of the internet, and you’ll never be bored again.