Have you ever thought about the reason most roofs are designed to be slanted or sloped rather than flat? Even a flat roof is not entirely flat, they are still designed in a way to have a slope that appears flat. The essence of the slant or slope is to aid or allow the run-off of water from the roof.
This in many ways is advantageous as it prevents water either from rain or melted ice from gathering on your roof and damaging it. Also, water gathering on top of your roof means that it can seep into your home. What this means is that the roof is not fulfilling its purpose. It is not shielding your home from the external elements which is one of its primary purposes.
Having said this, an important part of any roof is the gutter system attached at the edges. While they may not seem necessary, they are quite important. They are used for water management and work as a water discharge system from the roof of a building.
They also prevent water from dripping or running off the roof in an uncontrolled way. The water instead is channeled from the roof through downspouts and it is exited from the building or into a tank or container. You can see some of its importance below.
Importance of Rain Gutters
Here are reasons you need a rain gutter.
- It preserves the wall of your home from water damage
- When it is raining, it prevents people who are trying to enter the building or standing below it from being drenched.
- It helps to control and direct the water so that it is properly disposed of. This will prevent damage to the foundation of the building.
- It prevents rusting, rots and other such damages to your siding.
- It prevents soil erosion.
There are several types available but one of the best you can use in your home are seamless gutters. You can learn more about rain gutters here.
What is a Seamless Gutter?
This is a type of roof water discharge system created or customized for your home and installed right on site. They are so-called because they have no seams. That is they do not have sections that are joined together which makes them continuous. They do not come in standard lengths like other types of gutters. Rather, they get custom measurements that are specific to your home and installed as a piece.
The only connection points of a seamless gutter are the corners and at the downspout. They can be made of different materials including aluminum, copper, galvalume, etc. They can also be offered in styles such as half-round or k-style.
The significance of these kinds of systems is that since there are no joints, water cannot leak through in any way. For instance, if despite having a gutter system, you see or hear water steadily dripping down a side of the roof, then it means the system is not effective. Over time, this can cause erosion and as well as affect the foundation of your home.
The advantages of the seamless system include:
- It looks clean and complements/ enhances your home exterior by fitting and blending perfectly with the fascia.
- It is easier to maintain than sectional types as it does not accumulate as much debris. It is also easy to repair.
- No joints or section means no leaks.
- It increases the value of your home.
- Less difficult and less time consuming to install.
- It is stronger and less susceptible to damages. The more sections a gutter system has, the more you can experience leaks. There is also the potential of breaking apart when the sections are weak.
Installing Seamless Gutters in Pensacola
Pensacola is a city in Florida. It is the seat of Escambia County and also the principal city in the Pensacola Metropolitan Area (PMA). As of 2019, Pensacola had a population of 52,975 while the PMA had a population of 502,629 residents. Pensacola is called “The City of Five Flags” as well as other names such as “P-cola”.
If you are a lover of the outdoors, beaches and seafood, then Pensacola is a great place to live with its white beaches and natural beauty.
For installation in Pensacola, there are several experienced professionals installers that can help you with it. Asides from installation, they provide other services such as cleaning, maintenance and repair as well as general home improvement services.
These companies that install Seamless Gutters in Pensacola can offer you cleaning, maintenance and repair services such as:
- Cleaning and removing leaves or debris that have gathered over time
- Re-attaching downspouts when they come loose.
- Resealing corner seams.
- Re-pitching for proper flow of water.
- Additional downspouts for better water redistribution.
What Size of Gutter Should You Use for Your Home?
The standard gutter is 5-inches. However, you can find 6-inch gutters these days as they are becoming popular. You may even find larger sizes for commercial and industrial purposes.
A 6-inch size has a bigger capacity to hold more water. A city like Pensacola experiences a lot of rain in the year so a 6-inch gutter may be a better option for you if you live here.
Other factors that may influence the size you select asides from the climate includes your roof design. You may even interchange both sizes if you so wish.
Another thing to note is that they can come in different colors so you can select one that complements the color scheme of your home.
What is the Lifespan of a Seamless Gutter?
An average seamless gutter system can last up to 20 years before it needs replacement. Below are signs that show that yours may need a replacement.
- Sagging, splitting, or cracks
- Extensive peeling of the paint on the gutter
- Water damage or marks underneath it
- Water gathering leading to mildew below your home’s foundation.
When you begin to notice these signs, it’s time for a replacement.
If you like to learn more, you can read this article https://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-seamless-gutters.htm.
Seamless gutters are probably the best way to drain water off your roof. They are durable, sturdy, come in different colors and most importantly, they do not leak. You can reach out to professional installers in Pensacola to help install yours. Also, if you need to maintain or repair, they are just a call away.