On the Internet, it’s estimated that there are 12 to 24 million e-commerce websites. But only 650,000 of them earn more than $1,000 a year. If you think about it, a teenager who gets $20 a week babysitting makes more money!
It would really help your business if you invest in professional SEO services, because doing so can increase the traffic your website attracts and that means you have more potential customers to pitch to. In the meantime, here are some simple tricks you can use to make your website a lot more successful:
- Focus on effective keywords. This will attract those who are already wishing to buy something that you sell.
- Use a responsive design for your site. This will makes your site accessible through both PCs and smartphones. Nowadays, you even need to focus more on mobile Internet users than desktop users, since mobile users are more numerous.
- Load your web pages faster. This boosts your SEO, and at the same time you also satisfy the needs of impatient Internet users who don’t like to wait for pages to load.
- Prominently display your contact information on your site. If you have a shop, display the address and if possible show a map. Show your phone number and email. Display all your social media links as well.
- Do A/B testing. You need to try different layouts and designs for your website so you know for sure which version appeals best to your website visitor. With A/B testing, you know what they like. You won’t have to guess.
- Make sure your website visitors can navigate easily from page to page. Have a floating menu that immediately lets them into another section of your website. Have a search bar as well so they can find pages with specific information.
- Your Call-to-Action must be prominent and clear. It’s not only that the call-to-action button must be noticeable. You also need to be very clear as to what you want your website visitors to do. Do you want them to download a free app or a free booklet? Do you want them to subscribe to your newsletter? Do you want them to buy something at a discount? By being clear, you come across as transparent and honest.
- Partner with a reputable site security provider. People are wary about security these days, so your site should start with https.
- Be clear about your guarantee and return policy. Plenty of people can get upset with a brand when their return policy is unclear, even when their products are excellent. So you need to highlight your policies on this very clearly so everyone knows what to expect.
- Enable your customers to send in reviews. Make it easy for them to send their review to your site. Reviews are what make sites like Amazon so successful, so even negative reviews are good—they offer proof that you’re not doctoring the reviews.
- Feature lots of high-quality photos of your products. It shows perspective and people get a clearer idea of what you’re selling. You should also have a section with videos of your products in action.
- Give discounts to first time customers. This tactic works best if you sell items that are regularly bought, such as workout supplements, beverages, and other consumables.
- Streamline the checkout process. You have to make it ridiculously easy for customers to buy from your site.
Google has repeatedly stressed that your content is the most important part of SEO. So while professional assistance can be invaluable for SEO, you have to do your part and make sure that your website actually has something to offer for your customers.