If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact TRUSTe here.
EU-US and Swiss-US Safe Harbor
Piano Inc. complies with the U.S. – E.U. Safe Harbor framework and the U.S. - Swiss Safe Harbor framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Piano Inc. has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Piano Inc.’s certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/.
Piano Inc. agreed to TRUSTe dispute resolution for disputes relating to our compliance with the Safe Harbor Privacy Framework. Please click here for fax and postal mail information. TRUSTe's Dispute Resolution process is only available in English.
The Personal Information Protection and Electronics Document Act ("PIPEDA")
Piano recognizes and has controls in place to ensure that the privacy of personal information about an "identifiable individual" used in the course of "commercial activity" is protected and managed in such a manner which meets or exceeds the guidelines set out in the Canadian statute known as PIPEDA and applicable Canadian provincial legislation.
Personally Identifiable Information
When you register for our Service and make purchases on any of our Publisher sites, we collect the following personally identifiable information from you:
- full name;
- email address;
- physical address;
- telephone number (when needed to verify an accompanying print subscription);
- payment information as described below;
- any other personal information you provide during the registration process.
When you register for a Service account and purchase a subscription at one of our Publisher sites, we ask you for the for the following information — which is used for the purposes for which you specifically provided it — to allow us to process and fulfill your subscription or other purchase:
- credit card number;
- expiration date;
- name on the credit card;
- address of billing residence;
- card security code.
We keep this information and store it in the United States on a secure system that uses this information exclusively for the purposes of executing your transaction on our Service. This information is not shared with any entity other than the third party we use to process your payment transaction using this information.
Anonymous Usage Data and IP Address
Before you sign up on our Service, if you are visiting one of our Publisher's sites, we or the Publisher may collect anonymous usage data and your computer or device’s IP address while you are on the Publisher’s or our Sites. This information is not personally identifiable on its own and is used to enhance the Service to better meet your needs. It is shared with our Publishers.
Access Log Information
As is true of most web sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data.
We may combine this automatically collected log information with other information we collect about you. We do this to facilitate our ability to provide fast, convenient service, to improve marketing, analytics, or site functionality.
How We Use Your Data
When you provide us with personal information through our Service (including through the registration form or the purchase of any of our products), we use it in the following ways:
- to provide you with a personalized service;
- to process your subscriptions, enrollments, and inquiries;
- to conduct aggregated anonymous market research for our Publishers only;
- to provide you with information about the products and services we offer (if you opt to receive such information);
- to supplement your personal information with third party information, such as address verification.
We also use this information to communicate with you via e-mail. We reserve the right to contact you with information specific to your account transactions. However, you may at any time opt out of receiving marketing or promotional materials from Piano by updating your account at our website or unsubscribing in the email.
Technologies such as: cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by Piano and our Publishers, analytics services, or other service providers to provide the access for subscribers on our Service. These technologies are also used in analyzing trends, administering the Site, tracking users’ movements around the Site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
We partner with a third party to either display advertising on our Site or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third party partners may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this Service and other sites in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by clicking here (or if located in the European Union click here). Please note this does not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads.
Where We Maintain Your Information
Social Media Widgets
Sharing Your Information
We take the protection of your personally identifiable information very seriously and share it only in the following ways:
- Publishers -- We share your personally identifiable information with the Publisher with whom you subscribe through our Service as part of our business relationship with them. Your data is co-owned with the Publisher and us. You should read the privacy policies of any Publisher with whom you subscribe to fully understand their policy. We do this because by buying subscriptions from us, you are becoming their customers, too;
- Email Service Providers -- We also share your email address and first name with an email service provider for the sole purpose of sending you emails regarding your account. This company is authorized to use this information only as necessary to provide this service to us.
- Payment Service Providers – As described above, we share your payment information with the third party payment service providers we have engaged to process your payment transactions when you use the Service. These third parties are only authorized to use your payment information as necessary to process your payments.
We do not sell, rent, or share your data with any other third party for any purpose other than stated herein.
Legal Disclaimer: We may also disclose your personal information:
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request;
- in the event we go through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of our assets, your personally identifiable information will likely be among the assets transferred. You will be notified via email of any such change in ownership or control of your personal information.
The security of your personal information is important to us. Your Service account information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. When you enter sensitive information (such as your credit card number), that information is encrypted using secure socket layer technology. Piano follows generally accepted industry standards and has appropriate measures in place to ensure that your data is protected against unauthorized access or use, alteration, unlawful, or accidental destruction and accidental loss.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
User Access and Control of Data
If you wish to amend any of the data that we hold about you or update any of the notification options you selected, or if you no longer desire our Service and wish to delete/remove your personally identifiable information, please contact us by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 646 350 1999. You can also visit the My Account section of our website to update your personal information.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you the Service. If you wish to cancel your account, request that we no longer use your information to provide you the Service or delete your account, please contact us at email@example.com. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. We will respond to your request within 30 days.
Children Under 18
Piano does not sell its Service to children. We do not intentionally collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 18.
One World Trade Center
New York, NY 10007
We may update this privacy statement to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make any material changes we will notify you by email (sent to the e-mail address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on this Site prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to review this page periodically for the latest information on our privacy practices.